Welcome to my blog!

I have always loved to bake - mostly because I can follow instructions and recipes, and I have had good luck with my turnout. But, more recently, I have learned the joy of cooking. I love trying out new recipes, and I like to play with recipes to accommodate my finicky tastes.


I find inspiration in the healthy blogging community. I wanted to start a blog to share the recipes I have tried with you, but I also want to share with you my healthy living goals, plans, and actions in hopes to inspire some of you as well.

I love feedback, so please leave me comments, suggestions, and questions.

I hope you enjoy my blog!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Slow Cooker Oatmeal

I went to my local coop the other day (obsessed with that store) and bought some organic steel-cut oats from the bulk bins for a recipe I have been dying to try with my slow cooker.  So, into my 1.5 quart slow cooker went 1/2 cup steel-cut oats and two cups of water.  I switched the cooker onto low and let it work its magic overnight.  I woke up Wednesday morning to lovely warm oatmeal in my slow cooker!  I dumped my oats into a bowl and stirred into chopped apple and cinnamon dusted walnut pieces.  OH YUM!  Tasted like a delicious warm bowl of apple pie!  I loved the crunch that the walnuts added.  I am totally running down to the co-op tonight and loading up on steel-cut oats.  This was the first time I tried steel-cut oats.  I am usually an oat bran girl.  I was always afraid of the cooking time needed for the oats, but with the slow cooker, it was so easy!  I didn't have to hover over the stove for 45 minutes waiting for my breakfast in the morning.  Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE my oat bran though.  I will have to switch it up a few times a week so I can get my fix of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment