Welcome to my blog!

I have always loved to bake - mostly because I can follow instructions and recipes, and I have had good luck with my turnout. But, more recently, I have learned the joy of cooking. I love trying out new recipes, and I like to play with recipes to accommodate my finicky tastes.


I find inspiration in the healthy blogging community. I wanted to start a blog to share the recipes I have tried with you, but I also want to share with you my healthy living goals, plans, and actions in hopes to inspire some of you as well.

I love feedback, so please leave me comments, suggestions, and questions.

I hope you enjoy my blog!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

You are what you eat...

I have been absolutely OBSESSED with nuts lately: almonds, pecans, pistachios, walnuts...  I have always been madly in love with almond butter.  I love almond butter from Whole Foods, the local co-op, or Trader Joe's, but it gets to be expensive (especially when you go through a jar in two days like I do!).  So I have been making my own using my food processor.  It is so simple, just dump raw almonds in the processor, put the top on, and turn the machine on.  It does take about 15 minutes.  At first you will get almond dust.  Just scrape down the sides occassionally, and keep at it.  It will eventually turn to a paste, and then a delicious bowl of yummy, creamy almond butter.  Store it in the refrigerator or freezer.  If you prefer your almonds roasted, you can roast them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes.  I have heard controversy on whether roasting nuts removes vital nutrients so I tend to stay away from roasting, or I will roast them at a low temperature (150 degrees for about 20 minutes). 

I haven't yet tried to make my own pecan butter or walnut butter, but that is my next feat.

Question: what is your favorite nut?  Mine is definitely almonds, but runners up are pecans and walnuts.

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE nuts!!! All kinds, seriously hey are amazing! I will go back and forth with which one is my favorite....but right now I'm all about the pecans :)

    ReplyDelete